Sunday 21 September 2014

Hospital

Before I continue to tell you about my trip last week, first a little update about this weekend. So a few days after I got to Melbourne, I started to get a sore throat and really big painful lymph nodes in both sides of my neck, but going up and down in size. Had some night sweats but was feeling well during the day, so it didn't effect my travels except that I have been on high dose painkillers for 3 weeks. As soon as they wore off, I couldn't turn my neck. So yesterday night the nightsweats started to increase, but ater the painkillers I was well again. Untill early afternoon when the rigirs/chills started for hours and hours and my temperature went up to 40 degrees. As I felt really unwell, my host brought me to hospital (Jaime and Katarina have been soooo great, I didn't know them untill friday, and they missed part of a wedding to be with me). There everything happened really fast, saw the doctor almost immediately including her supervisor and was started on antibiotics straight after bloods were taken. They are very thourough here! Saw 4 or 5 doctors, many many nurses and had to answer the same questions many time, had 4 full on examinations, a chest X ray and a CAT scan of my neck. HAd liters of fluid, which made me feel a lot better after all the sweating. 
So after all these investigations, they still have no clue what it is. Not sure weather the past 3 weeks are related to yesterday, or weather yesterday is just a virus.... there are quite a few tropical diseases that you can get in Western/northern Australia, but these tests take a biit longer. Nigel, the doctor in Melbourne I joined a few times sent me a nice list, and the doctors here are very happy with that ;) If I wouldn't feel so grotty, I would think of me as a very interesting case :) 
Meanwhile the temperature has come down which makes me a lot better, but all other complaints are still there, so I think they will keep me untill they know a little more. The doctors are great, one of them will bring Ice cream this afternoon and made sure I got a room for myself, which make a big difference..... people from the lindy scene her will come to visit, which I really appreciate, as I hardly know them.... it is nice that there are so many great people out there! 

No comments:

Post a Comment